AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Real reasons why we don't keep machinery longer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 4/20/2009 23:20 (#687662 - in reply to #687371)
Subject: Re: Real reasons why we don't keep machinery longer?

Saronville NE
Downtime is a killer, especially with the custom work we do. This new stuff with all the electronics is hard to work on, and expensive to work on. The main reason for me to try and run newer stuff, its a heck of alot easier to pencil in payments in cashflow, then it is big surprise repairs, $16k trannsmisions (BTDT), then with the downtime, that hurts. Also if you put enuff hrs in, in a day, its nice to sit in something cormfortable and clean. Im not near as tired at the end of the day after sitting in a 8130 with autosteer, then trying to watch a mark all day long in a 4650. Also look what it costs to buy a used 8020 series tractor for example, versus leasing or buying a new one, how do you justify a $120k tractor that has 3k hrs on it allready or a 5-6k hrd 10 series for $90k, thats nuts, cause you will spend money on them before they are paid for, another thing look what rubber costs, you can spend $10k just puttin rubber on anymore, $10k goes along ways towards tradin. Ive just found in my operation, I make more money runnin newer stuff, then I did runnin older stuff, I can take on more work, with less downtime, with less repair bills.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)