AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9 years ago today plus an old cow story.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 4/18/2018 22:57 (#6718579 - in reply to #6718526)
Subject: RE: 9 years ago today plus an old cow story.

That's an awesome story. I'll tell you about Secret. Secret was a Brown Swiss, which is not my favorite breed, but I was with my boss in high school in 1993 when he bought her as a yearling at a dispersal of registered Brown Swiss. His daughter was quite young at the time and he wanted to develop a small herd for her that was a different breed than the majority of his herd which were Holsteins. From 1993 until 2008, shortly before he quit milking, he had Secret around. I fed her as a heifer, milked her as a cow, helped raise her calves, would say "Hi" to her when I was back visiting after moving away. One day I dropped by the farm early in the morning to say that I was in town and my fiancee was with me and could I bring her out to meet them? The boss said of course, bring the to be missus out that night for supper. Then he asked me a question. "Are you too busy to help me with an errand?" I said I wasn't. He explained that Secret was going down hill and he needed to take her to the sale barn that day. We rode together to the sale barn, both of us gave the old girl a few pats on the neck, wiped away a little eye moisture and said our goodbyes. It was fitting that that two of us that had cared so many years for old girl were there to say goodbye to her and unless you are just hard hearted, it's nice to be with a friend when you have to make those emotional decisions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)