AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Digging Pole Barn Post Holes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kelly
Posted 1/18/2018 07:29 (#6513718 - in reply to #6513398)
Subject: RE: Digging Pole Barn Post Holes

NC KS
You need a hydraulic drive digger with the gearbox and motor unit in compact form. Mine can go right in a 12" hole. 4' auger with my setup can get 6' or get an extension. You just go up and down a few times to get the dirt out. Shutoff auger on last time down and bring the dirt out on the flighting.

If you don't have a skid steer, I would consider renting one or hire a fence builder to stop by and set them. Just have everything laid out and holes marked and utilities located.

Hole size depends on pole size. A 24" auger makes lining up the posts easier but makes for a lot of tamping and a loose hole. I wouldn't use any bigger auger than I had to but spend more time getting the hole right, especially on a building.
Set out string lines and a long tape measure. I used a 2" auger on a cordless drill to make a mark for auger. Use an auger and drive setup that will hang plumb by itself or have an assistant that can see straight. Use some quikcrete on them also.

GT500 has an example above of the type of gearbox you need and it hangs plumb by itself.

Edited by Kelly 1/18/2018 07:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)