AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do if this is the quality of job you paid for?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 11/20/2017 21:36 (#6378805 - in reply to #6377556)
Subject: RE: What would you do if this is the quality of job you paid for?

USA
flyin45 - 11/20/2017 09:45

I guess it's just a matter of perspective and business models. I guess from my view for the same amount of time I spent putting 1000 acres of nh3 on I could harvest an additional 500 acres or so. So say I save 4 dollars an acre if I really use low expenses I would make 4000 putting on nh3. Now with a realistic net profit of 100 dollars an acres after rent and expenses on an additional 500 acres I made 50000. I'm not gonna step over a dollar to try and pick up pennies. Like I said I guess it's just perspective and everybody's operations different. Farming is changing whether people like it or not. Farms are getting bigger and forced to be more efficient. I believe sum of the increasing trends in yields is partly do to older farmers retiring that have farmed a certain way because that's the way they've always done it and resist change. A younger generation that sees value in newer technology and farming practices and believes not every new product is snake oil such as spraying fungicide, biologicals and seed treatments etc on top of having larger machinery to rapidly put the crop in and harvest it in a timely manner is pushing yields higher.

Would like to see the numbers how one person could harvest and handle the grain from 500 acres in the same amount of time as one person putting on 1000 acres of NH3. Also the amount of capitol required to harvest and handle grain from 500 acres vs the amount of capital required to apply NH3 on 1000 acres.

How does harvesting 500 acres yourself = $50,000 profit vs having the crop custom harvested? What is your cost per acre for harvesting vs having it hired done?

Edited by coup 11/20/2017 21:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)