AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thunderbird profile ... now I'm REALLY confused
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Hayburner
Posted 3/3/2009 19:33 (#630604 - in reply to #628466)
Subject: Re: Thunderbird profile ... now I'm REALLY confused

Mike, it has been awhile since I moved a T'bird profile, but what Carl says about your address book is correct. It's easier to export and import than to just move the file. As for your profile, you can try copy the entire folder and contents you have shown in your screen shot. On your new PC, I believe you will have to install T'bird and go through the motions of setting up your email account. Once that is done, you should be able to go into the T'bird settings and find where your profile setting is. It should be a path name to the directory like in your screen shot. Note what that directory is, open Windows Explorer (or whatever it is in Vista) and copy the profile from your old machine from your thumb drive to the same location as the profile on Vista.

Using Carl's example, if your new profile is located at: C:\Documents and Settings\Carl Hobbs\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\XXXXXX

Close T'bird, then copy your old profile to C:\Documents and Settings\Carl Hobbs\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\

It would look like
C:\Documents and Settings\Carl Hobbs\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\profilenew
C:\Documents and Settings\Carl Hobbs\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\profileold

Once copied, go into T'bird where the profile path is set. There should be a browse button. If not, you will have to enter the exact path to your old profile directory.

In the profile path, you can use cut-and-paste( or Control C to copy and Control V to paste). Paste in the directory to: C:\Documents and Settings\Carl Hobbs\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\profileold.

Close T'bird and restart. It should recognize your old profile.

If it does not, all is not lost, except for possible plug-ins that you had in your old profile.

If the only profile that comes up is: "C:\Documents and Settings\Carl Hobbs\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\profilenew,
you can try copy just your local mail folders into that profile. Using Carl's path, copy the entire Local Folders directory and contents into the new profile path that comes up when you start T'bird on Vista.

Once copied, close and restart T'bird and see what comes up. You may have to point your mail path to the right directory.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)