AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wasn't somone on here running Trimble autopilot using an Omnistar signal?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/15/2006 13:10 (#61872 - in reply to #61838)
Subject: RE: wasn't somone on here running Trimble autopilot using an Omnistar signal?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
There are a couple of us that post here with that combination.

I have a Trimble Autopilot interfaced through my Insight running with XP via a Trimble 332.

I planted my most of my corn and all of my soybeans with this setup. Both the corn and beans are planted with a Deere 1760 planter in rows.

I was happy enough with the results. Since I plant 12 rows of corn but harvest 8, I am on the edge of two passes 1/3 of the time. This means that the guess row is right in front of me in the combine. After combining all the corn, I concluded that the system was not as perfect as I thought it to be originally. The situation was very tolerable and certainly better than I normally had done "by hand". A really good driver might have done better. That being said I plan on sticking with the arrangement due to all the other benefits it has.

In my situation (already owning the Insight and using it for monitoring fertilizer during planting as well as several other situations), I did not consider a Trimble display. Using the Trimble Field Manager probably gives more guidance information but lacks the flexibility that I utilize.

Depending of your situation, you might find that you need the Insight in two different vehicles at the same time. For example, if the Insight is in my combine, I can't use the Autopilot in the tractor during that time.

Also, it takes some time for Omnistar to converge to its best accuracy. One needs to keep this in mind and plan accordingly. For example during planting season, I will leave the GPS on overnight in a clear spot in my dooryard to maintain convergence so I'm ready to go right away in the morning.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)