AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wasn't somone on here running Trimble autopilot using an Omnistar signal?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/16/2006 16:11 (#62370 - in reply to #62249)
Subject: RE: wasn't somone on here running Trimble autopilot using an Omnistar signal?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes the Autopilot will get on line much faster. Part of the reason being that the Autopilot system has a sensor mounted on the front of the tractor. This sensosr is a bit magic but tells the system which way the wheels are pointing, movement etc. This means that in the Autopilot system, the system "knows" which way the wheels are currently pointing among other things.

In contrast in the EZ-Steer system, the system needs to throw the Front around a bit to establish which direction it is going. I liken this somewhat to a dog on a trail, the dog often sniffs both sides of the trail until he gets "locked on" to the correct direction and heading.

The offline error is typically in the 0-1" range. There are times when I have noticed somewhat larger errors but this is very temporary. The part that confuses me about the offline error is that if the error is actually in the GPS itself, how can the system accurately report on its own error?

Concerning repeatability, I have only limited experience with this situation. As I indicated above, I had good experiences with planting Soybeans next to corn fields. This was about two weeks later. I also had good results putting on Fall NH3 using the AB lines from the Spring planting. I was very happy with the results - possibly I was just lucky.

Salesmen types have told me that if drift occurs, all that I need to do is "nudge" the line over a bit when returning to the field for a new operation. I'm not so sure although I hope so. I don't know if the AB line is stored as two actual points or a point and a heading. It seems to me that if the AB line is stored as two actual points that the amount of drift of one point is not necessarily the same as the other. I'm thinking if one drifts differently than another the "nudge" concept will not work well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)