AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too old
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 8/4/2017 08:49 (#6167019 - in reply to #6166867)
Subject: RE: I think that's a bit of a stretch.

North of London
Yes people knew that intercourse needed to happen and male ejaculate was probably involved but they did not understand how until the 1800's
I think it was around the mid 1800's that cell theory was finally described and accepted and that led to the understanding that those wiggly little things in male ejaculate were not 'worms' or 'parasites' but rather 50% of the new individual that developed in the woman's body.

It is interesting to look back at what people believed about pregnancy before they finally started to understand how a little sperm cell combined with a female egg to produce a fetus which then developed into a baby some 9 months later.

Look up "preformatism" as one of the beliefs of how pregnancy worked and the discussion of whether it was the woman who had the 'preformed' individual or the male.
I think one belief was the the male ejaculated stopped up the female blood flow so the new individual could develop while others believed the male ejaculate contained the preformed individual that then used the woman blood to develop.

And yes it was well into the 1800's before people finally figured out how cells worked in pregnancy
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)