AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SSYNTHETIC OIL IN OVER THE ROAD TRUCKS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 12/26/2008 20:58 (#547774 - in reply to #547739)
Subject: Re: SSYNTHETIC OIL IN OVER THE ROAD TRUCKS

Local dealer of Amsoil products had a cooperator that changed over all his differentials from Mobil 1. Trans. was also done. Engine was a first time use of synthetic. He kept track of his mileage before and after and his mileage increase was .48 MPG in OTR operation. This was not local use so it may not realize the gains in short haul field/bin operations.

Without question you can double what you are doing for mileage now. The initial drain and sample should be around 25-30,000 miles. Most samples come back a little bit disappointing due to the fact the detergent action cleans the engine quite a bit. After we are seeing a 40,000 mile change being OK. Donaldson Endurance filters can be used to get up over 50,000. Bypass filtration can be used to extend the drain indefinitely within reason with samples.

Right now the cheapest off the shelf oil is Shell Rotella Synthetic and is about $22 gal. at WalMart. It is hydroprocessed as mentioned in other threads which means it is highly refined mineral oil vs. a true synthetic being manufactured of chemical components. The Schaeffers is a blend of both types. Delvac 1 and Amsoil are a PAO true synthetic basestock. Delvac is high $2X range. Amsoil is $21-$23 depending on package size if you sign up for a commercial account which is nothing big. All are good oils. If you have a dealer of any close by it might be worth talking to. One thing I recommend is that your truck is more than likely a pre 2007 emission. The Rotella, Amsoil and Schaeffer all are CI4 and have the higher additive package for what these engines where designed for. There are those that are saying the new CJ4 is working and wear numbers are good even in older equipment but time will tell. I'm doing some testing of my own on CJ4 to prove it to myself. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)