AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ethanol and Keystone pipeline
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

white shadow
Posted 11/6/2014 22:19 (#4164523 - in reply to #4164275)
Subject: Rail performance has not improved and is not "performing wonderfully"..........

East Central South Dakota
Tara, rail performance has not improved one bit in the last year. Please look at dwell times and track speed on the following link. The BN continues to try very hard and has the right can do attitude compared to the CP-------but there is just a lot of "stuff" to haul on BN lines. Just got home from Basin Electric Annual Meeting. They complained about rail performance and the fact they have had coal electric generation facilities down to 3-4 days supply of coal because of rail performance. I would guess oil has the same complaints---just a guess.

http://www.railroadpm.org/home/RPM/Performance%20Reports/BNSF.aspx EDIT---CLICK ON THE 53 WEEK TAB ON LINK FOR BIGGER PICTURE OF PERFORMANCE

I am not an oil pipeline expert and maybe you are right in that it will not help availability of rail, but I don't see how it can hurt either. Pipelines all over the USA. Have to try something to get rid of some freight.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Oil-Pipelines-Criss-Cross...

The statement that rail is "performing wonderfully" is very far from the truth. The very skillful and market shocking ability of the farmer to be able to pack this crop away may give the allusion of performance, but as you can see from the above link it is just an allusion.

This packing of grain away is also going to keep car costs much higher than historical prices most of 2015. All those white bags full of grain have to come to town someday. Time to sell the carry on those bags in the month you plan on picking up your bags---hopefully before the frost comes out of the ground ? ? ?

Edited by white shadow 11/6/2014 22:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)