AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where's all the bred heifer demand?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ruraltrav
Posted 10/6/2014 12:34 (#4112297 - in reply to #4112082)
Subject: RE: why sell a high strung cow in a bred sale hoping she dont act up ?

Donald - 10/6/2014 09:43

i got one of them high strung ones too. mine will be fattened up a little and sold. no more calves out of her for me or anybody else.

when she calved she charged me one to many times , nice looking cow but just got her a one way ticket out of here.

The really odd thing is both her dam and sire are VERY calm animals and so is her 1/2 sister we have in the herd so we wonder if she got spooked as a calf by something in the pasture and hasn't been right ever since. It's really strange, she is not mean or anything, she just keeps her head held high and will not let you get very close. If you do get too close she'll dart away. When she was up with the other heifers this spring she was the only one that was high strung, we usually tie the heifers up a few times just so they are OK with a halter on if we ever have to halter them later and the only way we could get her on a halter was putting her in the head gate. When we fed all the other heifers came up to the bunk to eat while she stayed away and watched you till you left. Probably factored into why she didn't gain better since she didn't eat till the other heifers were already 1/2 done with the feed in the bunk. She calmed down quite a bit this summer running in the pasture with the herd and never gave us trouble when we had to drive the herd to the corral so she likes to blend in with numbers but still keep her distance. But we separated her off this weekend to put with the bull for now while we feed her and the high strung attitude came back now that she isn't able to seek calmness by blending in with the herd again is the only thing I can take from it. You have to literally leave the lot after putting the grain out for her to stop watching you and come up to the feed pan to eat with the bull.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)