AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hardi sprayer and ez boom??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 2/24/2008 00:39 (#317847 - in reply to #317577)
Subject: Re: Hardi sprayer and ez boom??

Kentucky
It's true that the diaphragm pump is accurate if you only use the throttle to change speeds, but you still have to get pressure right and you probably have some type of moniter with your Commander anyway. When I bought my Commander Plus - 5 years ago, the 2500 moniter/controller wasn't that much more than the base moniter, and I've found the accuracy to be a little better plus you can adjust calibration for 28% versus water and get it right more quickly. Just adjust the PPU number and it is very accurate. It is easy to record the PPU for various tank mixes and just plug the number back in the next time you spray that mix.

I do think the diaphragm pump is probably more accurate than a lot of systems that use centrifugal pumps and a controller because the controller can't respond quickly enough coming out of the turn and taking off on the next pass. You then end up with over application going into the headlands and underapplication coming out. I would still have confidence to spray with the diaphragm pump and no controller, but have found the system I have to be a little more accurate, relatively inexpensive, and easy to use. The diaphragm pump definitely makes the controllers job much easier and if you watch the valve coming out of the headlands, it doesn't have to adjust much if any.

What the diaphragm pump can't compensate for is wheel slippage in the field like you find in varying soil firmness or pulling hills versus going down hills because the rate is tied to rpm's (engine speed) once you set the pressure. Your accuracy is also dependant on you reading the guage and getting the pressure and speed correct. A moniter will help, but you still have to watch and adjust. With the controller you don't have to make on the go adjustments or read the guage correctly or consider wheel slippage. The controller is reading ground speed off a non drive wheel (magnets) or gps or radar and making the micro adjustments for you and probably better than you. I think this is where the improved accuracy comes. Hope this is of help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)