AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a new house
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 4/16/2013 20:37 (#3040619 - in reply to #3040474)
Subject: Re: Building a new house

King City, Mo
Ya, I don't see how some people build multiple houses.

Go and tour several houses even older ones of your friends cuz they have things they like or don't like.

Changes cost major money...our framer screwed up and didn't have the upper bath roof figured out and we hadda add a gable...he ate the labor but I bought the supplies.

We even went to the Overland Park Kansas home show...went to the fall parade of homes and toured some 1.3mil homes for sale....one guy asked me If I was there to fix something cuz we took the pickup with the tool box and bale bed....made up some story bout a rich uncle having us house hunt for him...(George from Washington)

We looked threw a lot of house plan books and online. Finally took the front off one house plan of another and garage off another to get ours to work and then tweaked it some more. We spent over a year doing that but it was well worth it...we fought a lot about things then but knew what we wanted once we built so that part was easier.

I like the shed style houses if there done right as they look good on a farm. Wife wasn't into it so....

The rock around our fire place took 4 days after doing chores and like a 12 pack of Pepsi.....if you want a fire place for backup heat you can't get something small....we didn't want it was a focal point bt it turned out good and is a focal point.

Dormers - small ones $2000 each...the center dormer a lot...the glass alone was $1000 and trimming the inside was pain...

If our house is a rectangle with out the jogs in and out like mine that will save u on everything. Digging and concrete and framing as it will be simpler and quicker.

Can lights are awesome...simple and easy and work great...even put them in the garage cuz the wife hates those tube lights.

I bought all the wire spools at 1000ft spools...took like 6 spools plus some heavyier wire. We drilled the holes and pulled wire and hung the outlet boxes.

Had a teenage brother inlaw that was a real good worker and made good money and learned a lot helping at the house. For some reason he doesn't wanna go into construction..

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)