AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

20in Strip Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nviney
Posted 3/8/2013 20:52 (#2951801 - in reply to #2951386)
Subject: Re: 20in Strip Till

Evansville, WI
I have to agree with JWM_Farms, I have not seen the dramatic blowing either unless they were doing one of two thing, running the head as low as it would go OR running stalk stompers on every row. Our plan is to run the head so that it leaves 12 to 16" stubble. We are going with Calmer BT Chopper rolls to our 1290 head, neighbor added them last year and we really like the way it looked. He had ZERO blowing. We have no intentions of running corn on corn. We will be planting beans or wheat into corn stubble. Also to be clear our residue problem was only related to stalks wrapping around the shank and stopping the covering disks, we had no issues with residue flow between units. There is quite a bit of stagger between units, it sticks out about 14 feet from the 3 point hitch to the back of the lift assist wheels.

I have to wonder how they setup that 24 row 20 that its stopped a 550 (or 600 if it was a quad track) HP tractor, thats 4 more HP per shank then we are running. I was able to run nearly 8 mph with our 12 row 20 at 7 inch depth on our 8330 (225 HP) in soybean stubble and was using about 9 gallons of fuel per hour, could pull it faster but the strip got a little sloppier and the number of shear bolts used goes up exponentially with an increase in speed.

My suggestion for new guys looking to strip till is start with just making the strip the first year and do that well, then if you are happy and comfortable with it add fertilizer later. Also carry a hard hat in the tractor, sure saves a lot of bumps on the head when servicing the bar etc.

Not sure we will stick with strip till so that unit might be for sale, email in profile is good ;)

List of 20" Strip Till Manufactures (that I know of)
Blu-jet
Orthman
Elmers
Yetter
ETS Soil Warrior
Several others will go down to 22" spacing

Edited by nviney 3/8/2013 21:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread