AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SO you want to feed a small group of cattle-best feed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 2/7/2013 15:52 (#2882028 - in reply to #2881279)
Subject: Re: SO you want to feed a small group of cattle-best feed

Columbia City, Indiana
Jim - 2/7/2013 09:20

My steers are out there harvesting/eating "ear corn" right now. No picker, no grinder, no wagons, no crib.... Self service and they do the work, not me.  Just need some planning and electric wire/reel/stepins and a 4-wheeler to run down some corn to put up a wire. You must limit them however. And no cows!

Put out a bale of hay in a ring behind them along with some good mineral and access to water and they will balance the ration. Provide access to some trees for shelter and your concrete bill goes down too.  But you can still drink the beer at the end of the day if you wish ;)

I like this thread!

Jim

my steers are also out there spreading manure right now.

I think (not saying for sure, I don't have time to google it) that university studies have shown cattle to be very poor at regulating or "balancing" their own intake. Some will stand at the hay bunk all day and some will never touch the hay. It would be better if you scattered a flake each on the ground once a day so they had enough to scratch their belly, and forced them to eat corn. Even at that, there is likely plenty of roughage in the leaves, husks, and stalks of the corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)