AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's take a poll...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 10/28/2012 13:52 (#2665419 - in reply to #2665246)
Subject: Re: Let's take a poll...

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
foggyday - 10/28/2012 11:22

Seriously, do guys steal other guys' cattle? It just seems so parochial. Maybe that's not the right word. Illegal maybe is a better word.

Isn't that what started the Hatfields and McCoy's perennial fight?

Absolutely happens. What is so hard to believe about it? I've got some calves I bought at a local sale barn on wheat pasture. Those that were branded the inspector recorded it and it is on my bill of sale. I can find out exactly which ranch they came off of and were born on.

Now on that place with wheat I have pens and when I am gone somebody could run out there and load up a couple in less than 5 minutes. 2 head are worth $1600 at today's prices. There is not much I can do about that. Padlocks? Bolt cutters take care of that. Security camera? Hardly ever works. But when they see my fresh brands on their rears, they are going to go to easier pickings, maybe even a sucker that has only ear tags or TEMPORARY rfid chips for ID.

I'm for all the above. Use RFID if it helps, use hot brands if it helps. Cattle are too expensive of an investment to not have permanent ID out here where we are at.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)