AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying Condo grain storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 12/13/2007 09:16 (#258941 - in reply to #258862)
Subject: RE: Buying Condo grain storage

southern MN
That does raise a question - they would have to 'correct' the grade of crop to the normal somewhere. Do they do this in your favor, or theirs? Elevators blend bad with good to get average when they ship out. You could do that with a bin or 2 at home. How is this handled with condo storage? Do they at least average your entire month's delivery, or do they nail you for every bad grade, no bonus for an above average load?

My coop 1/2 mile from me is pushing this condo stuff too. It does make sense for some, but, seems a lot of negatives to me. The physical bin space I 'buy' will be about 20 miles from me. This raises questions to me of elevator lines & hours of buisness, when the close facility is full then what, etc.

Seems most of the buying of this space is ethanol folks (coop is closely working with an ethanol coop) and close to retiring farmers. The idea of reselling the space for close to what you paid for it is appealing.

Rest are like Ray & me - interesting concept, seems limiting & in the elevator's favor. It hasn't been a huge business at this point.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)