AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new one at the parts counter today......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/21/2012 06:35 (#2497707 - in reply to #2497705)
Subject: Re: new one at the parts counter today......

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I had a positive experience yesterday with my local parts guy. I needed an O-ring for a check valve that is part of the 3-point hydraulic block on my 8120. The old one was leaking badly but we found a substitute that seems to hold.

Although this is working, I thought I would get a correct O-ring in case of another failure. My Deere parts guy brought up the drawing on his screen and we could see both the check valve and the O-ring that I needed. However, the O-ring was not listed as a separate item. It was included in the check valave kit which consisted on a new check valve and the O-ring.

There were other items of this type but on those the O-rings were listed as sub items so a person could get just the O-ring if desired.

The parts guy called a Deere hotline that is supposed to be helpful for parts problems. Apparently Deere buys this hydraulic block from another company and does not produce it themselves. My parts guy went out of his way to try to explain to the Deere person that I really did not want to buy the valve (over $200) just to get the correct O-ring.

I believe that Deere is going to try to find the part number from their supplier. I'm not too optomistic about this happening but I appreciate the effort that the parts guy put into the situation. If the O-ring fails we may have to try to find another by trial & error. Fortuately it is easy to get at and will be very obvious if it leaks again.

On the idea of looking up parts yourself, I try to do this when possible especially if I order the parts by phone. I find that I have less confusion and often the situation is clearer to me if I do some exploring online before I make the call.

Edited by tedbear 7/21/2012 06:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)