AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

no-till behind cattle manure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/29/2011 00:08 (#2073887 - in reply to #2073395)
Subject: RE: no-till behind cattle manure

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I clean up my winter hay feeding sacrifice area in the spring into big compost piles. It makes great compost by fall if I turn it once.  In most operations I would spread this on corn stalks in the fall and run an Aerway at an angle to the rows to poke some aerating and water catching holes and toss just a bit of soil on the spread manure compost.

Since I graze stalks over the winter, however, I cant spread it in the fall. This past spring I spread this composted manure mixed with some fresh on my grazed corn ground after the steers went to the processors.  I ran the Aerway at an angle to the old corn on my hillsides and then let it sit a week or two to get a rain and firm up.  I then spring strip tilled with my Pluribus parallel to and between the old stalks then planted a couple days later.

This worked very well. The key is to get a good uniform spread and not piles of manure. once i stopped overfilling the old rear discharge spreader above beater height i got a good spread.

The manure was a mix of composted and fresh.  For most operations spread and aerway in the fall with the aerway set at an aggressive steep angle with weights.  Good luck.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 11/30/2011 17:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)