AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats Everyones Plan for Controlling Tollerant/ Resistant Waterhemp and Other weeds for 2012???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 8/6/2011 14:25 (#1898767 - in reply to #1898716)
Subject: Re: Whats Everyones Plan for Controlling Tollerant/ Resistant Waterhemp and Other weeds for 2012???

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
Half serious. If a person was to read posts within the last year. It would make residual chemicals sound like the best thing sinse sliced bread. The truth is, they cost a lot of money. They can be more harmful on the enviroment, and usually are very unpredicatiable when it comes to complete control/longevity of control. Its like we know RR and Resistance is a problem, but we praise residuals like they are an amazing solution if farmers would simply use them.

The truth is, they are not. I know farmers who are excited about using different tank mixes of residuals, and I truely feel part of that is advertising by chemical companys. They should not be excited, they should see it only as nessisary evil. And I emphasize the evil.

Its kind of like fungicide in corn. I don't know if its because most of us don't consider fungus a living thing. But I get all excited about spraying fungicide on both wheat and corn, (and someday beans probably) , like its giving my crops cookies and milk. I think of it as a "CROP DO GOOD PRODUCT" instead of the pesticide that it is. The farmer in me drives through ILL 3 weeks ago and sees plains flying everywhere and gets excited because plains flying fungicide onto robust corn is agricultrue in its finest form.

But the people that were riding with me. Said "Wow look at all those plains spraying all of those dangerous pesticides just to keep the crop alive" And without thinking, I said, "Most of them aren't spraying pesticides, they are spraying fungicide." Then I realized, yes those big yellow plains are spraying "pesticide" on corn to control the fungus and increase production.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)