AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value from seed dealer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 8/24/2010 12:45 (#1330162 - in reply to #1330005)
Subject: Re: Value from seed dealer

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
How do seed companies select varieties?? They select based on as much data as they can collect from a broad area. Why ?? Becasue selecting from one area is just that ,one area, one weather pattern. What if the weather changes (which it does)?? You have now selected a hybrid based on last years weather at your farm.
When I make recomendations for the next season I look at local farmer trials, other company trials, our Elite company trials, north,south east west, 2 yr averages 3 year averages if available ect.... If a hybrid or variety does well across ALL those environments I know that my odds are better, selecting those hybrids for the next year. I will NEVER select just soley based on the plot at my farm, never ever ever.Having said that a good variety usually wins 70% of the plots so the chances of it winning my own are above average but not guarenteed.
Yes I have a yield monitor on my combine and do look at maps. I allways strip hybrids so I can see suttle differences in reaction to PH, soil types ect...this is basically for "fine tuning" recommendations. But even that is not exact science.
No company that I know of selects soley based on one area, none......

The U of M had an article years ago on selecting hybrids and varieties. Using data from 4 locations instead of one showed the advantage the next year in selecting from the average of 4 locations instead of the one you were closet to.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)