AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed dealer=Land competitor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Colorblind
Posted 8/19/2010 21:31 (#1323046 - in reply to #1319825)
Subject: Re: Seed dealer=Land competitor?

ND
I deal with a number of seed dealers that also farm, but there's two of them that really stick out in my mind. The first one farms a fair chunk and is IMO the kind of guy you'd want as your neighbor. He's a pretty straight shooter and I've never heard of him intentionally stepping on anyone's toes.

The second seed dealer also farms several acres and is always looking out for his best interests. A few years ago I had a landowner (seed dealer was current tennant) ask if i was interested in farming his land. I knew this would cause tension w/ the dealer, but in no way, shape, or form did i solicit this offer. Seed dealer caught wind and chewed my a$$ w/ how could you do that to me and threatened to pull discounts, fee seed, etc...yada, yada I ended up not renting the land, but at the same time he's going around making offers to landowners trying to nab land his customers are currently renting.

In either case being a seed dealer is advantagous to a farming operation. It helps build and maintain relationships with alot of people you probably wouldn't associate much with otherwise. Also, If people think you do a good job dealing seed and they can get a closer look at your operation and get the opinion you do well farming, they will be more inclined to think of you when/if they are wanting to rent land out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)