AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 8630 PTO problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oliver
Posted 2/9/2010 22:16 (#1067106 - in reply to #1065939)
Subject: RE: JD 8630 PTO problems

Shaftsbury, Vermont (SW VT)
I just got done working on a 8450; early S/N. I believe this has pretty much the same clutch yours has. 6 friction discs. The later ones had a heavier duty PTO with 8 discs. Quite a few other parts are different, too.
This tractor pulls a chopper (CaseI-H FHX300 I think) and he works it hard. It started to drag, and he had me test pressures. They were in spec; I think about 180 on the clutch, and a little less on the brake for some reason. It wasn't long before it locked up entirely, and clutch pressures were real low, but the brake was the same. He pulled off the PTO driveline in the middle and put it on fall tillage. When I got it in the shop and apart, there was no friction material left on the discs, and the piston had extended far enough to ride up on the guide pin and wedged there. There were no pieces of friction material in the clutch housing, only pieces of the piston packing. I'd guess that the clutch slipped and just wore the facings off. The oil was pretty black.
We tried to find parts to update to the heavier duty clutch; JD calls it the long shaft conversion. Kit is no longer available; all the smaller parts were somewhere in the system, except for a couple of the bigger parts. We didn't try the "Parts Depot" where the vintage parts are because we were looking at over $5000 at this point just for parts. Our parts guys called a number of salvage places; when Bootheel struck out, we knew we were in trouble. The customer decided to fix it as it was, and lighten up on it. I did set system pressure up to about 5-7 psi above spec. hoping to give it a little better bite.
Just left the shop this afternoon. Gonna be on manure hauling duty for quite a while, so it will get a test.
Good luck with your project and let us know how you make out. E-mail is in my profile if I can help in any way.
Oliver Durand

Edited by Oliver 2/10/2010 22:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)