AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 8630 PTO problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Clay-All-Over
Posted 2/9/2010 12:32 (#1065939)
Subject: JD 8630 PTO problems

Eastern Ontario

Yes, I know it's a POS.

PTO is acting funny.

Two falls ago the PTO would not turn on. Happened only once. Didn't think much of it as it worked fine afterwards.

This fall the PTO wouldn't shut off at times. This happens about 5% of the time. And it's not like it keeps turning by drag only. I think it has plenty of power still.

The tractor is pulling a ripper rototiller, so it works hard.

The lever in the cab is working normally, even when the PTO is acting up. The linkage is good and the lever on the clutch valve housing looks good too.

Checked the PTO clutch and brake pressures today and they are normal. Of course the PTO doesn't act up when it's in the shop.

So now I'm thinking maybe a sticky valve in the clutch valve housing, but I'm not sure.

I was thinking maybe some broken plates in the clutch pack, but the PTO doesn't slip under heavy load.

Not sure where to start.

I think I will tear into the clutch valve housing first and see if anything shows up there. If nothing there, I will have to get greasy and take the PTO clutch out. I'm really looking forward to that job.

Any ideas as to what it may be before I start taking stuff apart that I don't need to?

TIA

Mike

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)