AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ideas for last crop on land to be developed for a neighborhood
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Happy First Timer
Posted 2/26/2021 18:37 (#8860284)
Subject: Ideas for last crop on land to be developed for a neighborhood

Gentleman,

I have a farm that this will be the last year planting it due to it being developed into a neighborhood. Last year I planted the farm in soybeans. This year it is due to be planted in corn as part of my rotation. With that being said, does it make sense financially to put the money into fertilizer etc when next year I won’t have the residue for the following crop of soybeans?

The farm will grow excellent corn with a strong application of n,p,k. By applying heavy on the corn year I usually only need 150 lbs of K to turn off a really good bean crop due to the corn residue breaking down and covering some of the in season soybean crop needs.

My thought is to grow corn with reduced fertility and hopefully use whatever is left in the soil to support the crop since the next thing growing in the field will be asphalt and houses. On the other hand, I can probably produce a decent bean crop with minimal inputs.

Just trying to figure out the best way to maximize profit while not leaving anything behind. If it wasn’t going to be developed into a neighborhood I would obviously handle this situation with my normal rotation. This is a first for me. Thanks in advance for any insight
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)