AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why I left agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cooperator
Posted 9/26/2020 12:53 (#8516119)
Subject: Why I left agriculture

Central Alberta

I could write a book or even a series of books but I'll just focus on one point. Farming has always been a tough grind, but if you worked super hard, spent your money super frugally, and had a bit of luck with the weather and the markets you could put away a nice nest egg for retirement or to pass down the family line. Once you got used to all the hardship, it was a great lifestyle.

But now it's all business and banks and living under the illusion of prosperity. The dirty little secret is that for most people farming doesn't pay, so we talk to the bank, who raise your credit limit, and your accountant makes it easier to live in a nice home and drive a fancy pickup. Life is great until insolvency hits, and your operation goes to the next big farmer who wants to live the illusion dream.

Don't worry, it's the same for all small businesses.  A local machinery dealer here who had built up an impressive business over the years, working out of a modest building and offering excellent service, was suddenly struck by the "go big or go broke" syndrome.  They relocated to a huge two-story office, and set up similar dealerships in several nearby cities, all at once.  They now no longer exist, acquired by a larger company.

As an agronomist, our role was originally to help farmers grow crops profitably with good advice and crop science, but that role changed abruptly to "just sell whatever makes us the most money and forget the agronomics..."   But that's enough ranting from an old man.   Enjoy agriculture how you can and while you can.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)