AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why I left agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 9/26/2020 17:35 (#8516409 - in reply to #8516279)
Subject: RE: Why I left agriculture

Nw Iowa
The problem is that every facet of our world has changed. Bottom line rules and maybe it always has. My in-laws were IBM ers and used to be if you got a job with them you were pretty much set for life. Good insurance, good retirement, good pay. My wife’s dad worked there until his untimely death and her 2 brothers followed. When housing bubble hit stock market IBM really hit hard and tried to dislodge a lot of older employees as they wanted to cut highest pay first. So they did a couple of things, one was to make retirement much harder as you needed full 30 years to get full retirement or otherwise it was cut drastically or just a small severance. One of her brothers quit shortly after and other brother stuck it out. If I remember he had about 4 or 5 years left.Basically were they upped workload and cut employees to do it which I understand when business is on the line.What really made it difficult though was that upper management posted a list monthly listing everybody’s performance on bulletin board. So for example if you had 8 members on a project the names listed from top to bottom. If your name was on the bottom you had to move up list or be fired the next month. Imagine trying to work with a small group to get a project out but knowing you had to do what you had to do to move up list. Brother-in-law made his 30 but was very hard on him. He was a very hard worker and not one to complain. Point of whole story is that grass always looks greener on the other side of fence.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)