AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay Raking Timing???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 7/2/2020 18:28 (#8350181)
Subject: Hay Raking Timing???

NE Iowa
On our farm it seems like I am always the one that does the raking. On a typical year the forecast is usually iffy enough that we never rake until the day it can be baled. Usually wait for the dew to burn off and start raking between 10am and noon. Try to catch it right after the dew dries to save the leaves and then bale later in the afternoon. First crop this year we got 0.1" of rain one morning and then it got hot, sunny, and windy. So I raked all the hay and left it overnight and baled the next day. That worked great because the wind stayed up all night and no dew. I feel like most times my hay needs more drying time after raking. I just got done cutting my second cutting. No rain in the forecast, 90 degree temps, light wind, and heavy dews predicted every morning because it is really humid. In weather like this would you rake the day before baling or the day of? Raking the day before gets more hours of sunlight after raking but will a heavy dew ever dry if in a big windrow? What is AgTalk's opinion on when to rake? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)