AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbour's vegetable garden
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 6/23/2019 09:19 (#7576389)
Subject: Neighbour's vegetable garden

Middlesex County, Ontario
We have a field that lies 45 degrees to the compass. The field is diamond shaped. In the Southern corner of the field a lot was severed off in the past.

The neighbor who lives on that lot has built a beautiful vegetable garden. The vegetable garden is on his NW property line. There are no trees, fence, or any kind of wind shelter on the property line. Between his garden's 4"x4" and our corn is maybe 18" of grass. We leave that narrow grass buffer to avoid killing his lawn while spraying.

The neighbor is fully within his rights to do what he has done, but it does complicate my life a little bit.

The prevailing winds are almost always from the North/NW towards his garden. I will not spray it if it is too windy, but there will always be some amount of wind towards his garden. Am I too worried? I only spray that field when wind conditions are reasonable, but like I said, there will always be some amount of wind towards his garden. I know whatever minimal drift there is would never harm a lawn, but I don't know what kind of sensitive vegetables he has in that garden that will curl when there is a droplet of Dicamba within 3 miles.

Right now I need to go spray the corn with Atrazine, Armezon, and Glyphosate.

I would like suggestions as to what do short term? I am considering skipping 30' of headland with the sprayer and asking him to turn on his sprinklers for a few hours while I am spraying (to wash off any possible drift). I will come back and clean up that headland later with the 3pt sprayer when the winds are opposite direction. Does the sprinkler theory work?

I would also like suggestions as what to do long term? I could leave a 5' buffer (and I think he would love it and cut it as lawn), but that doesn't help any possible drift. I also don't want to take any amount of land out of production and give it to someone as free lawn.

Edited by WildBuckwheat 6/23/2019 15:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)