AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting last few weekends
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

timis
Posted 6/10/2019 08:37 (#7551197)
Subject: Interesting last few weekends

Iowa
Thought I would share my families experience the last few weekends. It really opened my eyes. We live on the “family farm” raising corn/soybeans on a small scale, have some hobby critters, but at the current time have no “production livestock” on site. I work an off farm job, wife stays at home. We have 4 kids from early teens to 2.

Memorial weekend we had a bunch of family in the area on both sides. If they’re from my side they were raised on the farm, wife’s side is a generation removed. Any of the spouses were like the hand sanitizer police- can’t let little Johnny get dirty. We got a few not real nice comments about being “dirty country people”. Kids from city were scared of everything- dirt, grass, (tiptoe thru grass cause they don’t want to touch it) toads,, worms (my kids and the other rural kids were being kids and having fun).

I just figured well this is what happens when you have city kids that sit inside all day. Well then this weekend we had a church deal. The church is located in a town of 15k, which is the “big town” of the area. Some of our kids friends were over because their parents were setting up this event. (Live in town) Kids went out and played in the sprinkler, pet baby kitties and other animals. Well yesterday I overheard a couple of the parents talking about how filthy and stinky and gross the kids were when they came home “I can’t believe people live like that”. We don’t have a feedlot on site, kids didn’t roll in manure. Was just kinda heart broken - are we at this point as a society that kids doing what normal kids have done for the last 1000 years is gross. One thing that really shocked me is that both events the non rural people doped the kids up on allergy meds to help them breathe better- like nature was contaminated. I also love the poor got nothing farmer stuff you get to hear - they act like your the guy with no money cause you live on gravel. Was just really sad that we have become so sheltered as a society that kids can’t be kids. I would say at both events the kids did have a blast. I’m glad my kids go to a school where most of the kids live like we do.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)