AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tariff’s with China
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Brian Barinsky
Posted 2/6/2019 07:52 (#7300556)
Subject: Tariff’s with China

First and foremost... I’m not trying to start a political for / against war here... I’m trying to understand and learn a micro / macro economics lesson from the people who post here.

Last April, I was looking at a new Timpte trailer, salesman said “prices are going up 10% next month due to China and rising costs of tires, steel, and aluminum”. I was ready to purchase anyway, but that pushed me to buy. Then wondered, was he just trying to close the sale? I bought another Timpte trailer in October, same specs and sure enough, 10% price increase!

This started my thinking while it was raining and I was attempting to harvest a crop that we are growing at break-even prices... China is arguably getting a 10-15% discount on their raw agricultural products, corn, ddg, soybeans, pork. Regardless if they purchase these products in US, Brazil, Argentina or elsewhere. BUT...

It appears that I’m paying for the “trade tariffs” on raw goods shipped into this country from China also. China and their manufacturers didn’t absorb the trade tariff imposed by the US and the Trump administration, I did as a consumer of these goods.

Not only am I losing “revenue” the “goods” that I purchase have increased in price due to this trade war.

How again are we hurting China? Are there that many people that go to Walmart, Target, Timpte, etc and say, yeah, that price increased 10% in the last year, I’m putting my foot down, I’m not buying it!!! Or ... it went up 10%, I’m not purchasing that item now.

There are successful, intelligent people here, I’m asking for a semester of college economics here for free... thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)