AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1/2 vs 3/4 ton..........The comparisons every miss that I need to know.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TP from Central PA
Posted 8/1/2017 12:14 (#6161443)
Subject: 1/2 vs 3/4 ton..........The comparisons every miss that I need to know.

Read the debate below but to my amazement nobody brought up the topic of the rear axle in the two. We had always ran 3/4 tons because of the hub being supported by beefy bearings, and not a shaft stuck out with a flange on it. To my knowledge the new half tons are still a shaft sticking out with a flange on it, am I correct on that? We had a 1/2 ton as a farm beater and did stuff with it that I wouldn't do again, but I would never back into a gooseneck and travel down the interstate with a max load on the axle that was under it. What is everyone elses thoughts?

Another thing, has any independent firm every tested these 1/2 ton trucks with max load for more than just a short period of time? Reason I ask is I see the ratings go up and up and up, and it seems the townie's haul less and less...............Now we need to hook up a trailer to haul a gas grill. My point is I can slap a rating of what ever I like on anything and if you don't push the limits you never second guess what the rating really is. A neighbor of mine who is long gone was a salesman for a car/truck dealership in the 50's through 80's and he told me they conservatively rated the trucks in the past because they knew the buyers were buying them for work, and a great many were the "Load it to the hilt and roll till it breaks" type of people, and would push and exceed the limit what ever it was.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)