AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GPS reciever accuracy with auto section shutoff equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dgrimm
Posted 2/4/2008 16:17 (#300966)
Subject: GPS reciever accuracy with auto section shutoff equipment

Had an interesting conversation recently and am curious for how others feel. With all the new boom/planter section shutoff technology on the market, how good of GPS signal do we need to prevent skips on end rows? My gut feel says any good quality WAAS reciever will be okay for most situations, but many of the lower end "cheap" GPS's from Garmin, ect. will not.

This makes me think of all the scatter plots of static reciever accuracy that Don Smith did a couple years ago. A significant new issue is that "pass to pass" accuracy is no longer a good measure. When you put the headlands on a field, you won't be revisiting parts of that headland for several hours, often times overnight, and so I think static accuracy is a much better measure of performance. At the 2-3 foot accuracy that I remember most higher-end WAAS recievers being at, I don't think there are any issues, but for the 5-10 foot accuracy of the Garmin style recievers I think it may result in negative performance and results in some situations.

What is everyone elses take?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)