AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For those who have built a commodity shed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 5/6/2013 12:11 (#3083520)
Subject: For those who have built a commodity shed

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

I have a few questions, we custom feed for a guy and when we started the plan was to just feed soyhulls, syrup and assorted other roughages(hay,haylege,silage, some cornstalks). So we put up a 25 ton bulk bin. Well now theyre asking us to feed whatever is the cheapest. The other day we went and got a load of DDGs in our hopper trailer went to unload them and they dont want to come out of the truck. We decided against putting them in the bulk bin because we REALLY dont want to have them bridge up in there. So it looks like we are going to have to dump them on the ground. All the hay and stuff sit out on dirt.
 So dad and i got to talking about a shed and putting the hay and everything else in there so we can feed whatever they bring us. Did a search on here and found some good articles but nothing that really answered my question.

Ive read about how itll save a chunk of money in less shrink but does anybody have a % number? or have done the math and have a good set of numbers?

Whats a good size for a shed? Looking for probably 4-5 bays and want to hold at least a semi load plus some in each bay and maybe make one bigger for hay. 

Whats a good height to be able to tub grind into for hay or stalks? We get ours custom ground by a guy with the big Haybuster i think its the 1150 model. Everything else has been hauled to us in either hopper bottoms or belt trailers.

Whats the best direction to have one face? East or West are our only options with East being prefered as it leaves the most room on the open end.

Thats all i have for right now. Will probably have more later

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)