AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about cheap beef cow diets?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John e.c.MI
Posted 2/4/2013 16:27 (#2874553)
Subject: Question about cheap beef cow diets?

Croswell, Michigan
I see alot of guys on here are using what looks to be some pretty cheap diets on here to feed beef cows. Forgive me for my ignorance on this subject but are these diets really palatable or are they consumed by necessity? As I said on here a week ago we are thinking about starting a small cow herd and are looking for ways to feed them inexpensively. Wheat straw is pretty abundant for me as we have about 200 acres of wheat/year. Could a balanced diet be put together with straw and ddg's(also readily avaible close by)? In diets like these with straw or corn stalks how do you keep the ddgs from sifting to the bottom of the mixer wagon and not come out evenly mixed? Would a mid 90's JD 385 round baler handle corn stalks without tearing it up? How about raking with a rotary rake?

I also see you guys talking about syrup. This is a by-product of what? I live less than 2 mi. from a beet factory, how much can a guy afford to pay for pulp? Not sure I can get any though, demand has been so high for it, previous customers and beet growers get first shot at it.

Edited by John e.c.MI 2/4/2013 16:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)