AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost of new house/acreage water well?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tim42163
Posted 1/25/2013 12:37 (#2848932)
Subject: Cost of new house/acreage water well?

Western Iowa

If anyone has had a new well installed, I would like to know what it cost. I have been given some advice locally, and spoke with one installer and the State health dept. inspector in my county. This is to replace our current 50' deep sand point which is piped to a jet pump in our basement. Sand point is probably 95% plugged.  We have plenty of ground water below 20 ft deep.  We are in western Iowa, and located in a river valley, so flat terrain.  

I recently watched a driller nearby. Rig was already set up, and it was a nice day -- perfect for working outdoors. They drilled and installed 100 ft 5" PVC casing + 10 ft PVC screen at bottom, dipped out water for a few minutes, slid a plastic cap on top of casing, scooped pea gravel down hole around the casing, and then some bentonite. Took them less than two hours and then they started taking down their rig. So the drilling appeared to go fairly trouble free.  I think my underground conditions should be the same, since our subsurface structure is fairly uniform around here.  This is for one house/acreage.  Also will use it to fill a 1000 gallon sprayer a few times a year & wash equip., etc.  No livestock.

For comparison I have looked at others' systems.  These people bought the acreages with the systems already in place.  So they didn't know the price.  From systems I have looked at, this is what I have in mind for the installer:
1. 5" PVC cased well 110 ft deep.
2. 3/4 HP submersible pump, approx 10 GPM.
3.  Backhoe trench approx 70ft from well to basement to bury plastic pipe & wire at least 5 ft deep.
4.  Drill through block basement wall for wire & pipe.
5.  Fabricate heavy PVC plastic manifold. With two output valves (one for house, one for outdoor hydrant line), pressure relief valve, and pressure switch.
6.  Mount pump control box on wall, and connect wires to pressure switch.
7.  Connect fabricated manifold to the new pressure tank I already have in place in basement for this, and connect to water line from pump.  (Basement is dry but unfinished, and this is next to my drainage sump; in case of possible future leak.)
6.  Connect well pump control to new 220 volt power circuit I already had installed for this.  New wire is hanging there, ready to connect into new control box.  (Brother-in-law is a licensed electrician)
7.  Flush and chlorine treat well as necessary.
8.  Backfill trench.

I will have separate plumber disconnect from old pressure tank/pump system and connect existing house and outdoor plumbing to new manifold output valves.  Also, I will remove old system and seal old well according to state inspector's requirements.  I will repair lawn and landscaping.

If you have any advice, and can share how much your installed well system cost (and how your depth and specs compare to my list above), I would appreciate it.  Thank you!

Tim (western Iowa)

Edited by tim42163 1/25/2013 13:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)