AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim: row cleaner update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dave w/o dot
Posted 5/28/2006 07:47 (#15391)
Subject: Jim: row cleaner update

Jim, I know I mentioned that I didn't think row cleaners were a must for early riser units, I wanted to update you on what I found this year. I planted all my corn again without anything at all and the stand came out pretty good. Not 100% however, some (not all) of the places that the combine had turned and left a double thickness mat of trash has a noticeably reduced size to the corn compared to all the rest as well as some corn not getting in the ground at all, causing a skip. This was my fault for not running deep enough to fix that. We have a lot of sharp terraces, so when I did use cleaners the things wouldn't work in the channels anyway if you set them to just skim everwhere else. Any bare spot appears as though the corn grew at a faster rate, too. The difference this year is we had extrememly cold temps for three weeks after the corn was planted and the trash all over the ground must have insulated it to keep it from warming up? Corn nearby that was planted with row cleaners looks more even to me. I don't know if it is enough to pay for the cleaners, but sure looks better. Best corn I planted is a place that had all the fertlizer and herb. floated the second week of april just before I planted it. All the NH3 preplant shows streaks whereever the N was applied. Must be the cold too?

I planted all my beans again without anything at all in front of the units, and got a very good stand (Notill). This seems to work better than corn? Don't know..

Anyway.. you deserved to know this. It looks like I was wrong if you want a perfect stand of corn, and everyone does. Thanks for listening. dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)