AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some Bean planting advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

RBT Farms
Posted 7/7/2011 13:38 (#1852602)
Subject: Need some Bean planting advice

Rocky Comfort, MO
Hey guys I need some advice. We are in a very dry time right now in our area and have been since the May 22nd Joplin tornado. We have only had an inch of rain since then. We still have 350 acres of beans to plant. We have had decent success on getting them in the ground before the 15th of July and usually try to get them in after a wheat crop would come off around the 20th of June or so.. The advice I am looking for is wether to plant them now or wait until we get some ground moisture (which is why they have not been planted already). We are of course planting them this late to try and catch the rains in late summer instead of them trying to bloom and fill in a time like we are having right now. Last year our full season beans burnt up and the double crop beans made 50 bpa. Late planted beans have always worked the best for us. The forecast for us is not looking to promising at this moment as far as rain chances. They are calling for around 95+ temps for the rest of this week through the middle of next week. Some spots in the fields have moisture and some do not (which is the majority). Should I go ahead and plant them even though they will not come up but just in the moisture areas or should I continue to wait for the rain. We have been passed by so many systems that have come through, it seems like it will take a miracle to get a rain in our area. We do not have soybean crop insurance in our county other than hail insurance, so there is nothing really that I have as far as insurance purposes. Do I plant and have spotty emergence....Thats the question. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)