AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

breeding strategy for 40 cow herd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

eddie
Posted 4/26/2007 16:52 (#142921)
Subject: breeding strategy for 40 cow herd

Running a small commercial herd of middle of the row angus and angusx cows (nothing from a salebarn). Have been using AI sired bulls and have been pleased with the results. Have a couple neighbors who are really pushing me to use some AI. I have not been spending big money on bulls but use two bulls, one on cows and one on a half-dozen heifers when he is yearling, then the next year sell off the bull on the cows and move up the bull that was used on the heifers to be used on the cows and buy a new yearling to use on the heifers. I retain 6-8 heifers every year and cull out 10-15% of my cows every year, plus any opens after a 60 day breeding season. Everything is weaned at 175 days and put on a 60 day pre-conditioning program targeting 3lbs ADG. Is there enough value in fooling with AI or am I better off running bulls? I have good facilities to work the cows through as I would be using a timed-synch program, which would require 4 passes through the chute. The hardest thing I can't get past is the 65% conception rate, which may be great, but in my mind is pretty dismal for the expense of shots, cidrs, and semen. I guess I'm wondering if the genetic improvements will be worth the expense.

Eddie
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)