AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fabricating advice, beware of pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DidSomeoneSayDonuts
Posted 12/23/2010 22:43 (#1503764)
Subject: Fabricating advice, beware of pics

waaaay east central Colorado
I'm trying to build a crane for my pickup because I'm A: too lazy to lift things, and B: too cheap to buy one. I want the boom to be snug to the sides of the base to reduce unwanted wobble, but I left 1/16" extra room to alleviate any binding, it didn't work. I'm having trouble with "chunks" getting tore off of the boom and base and causing all sorts of binding action. I've tried grinding both the boom and the base smooth until I couldn't feel past my elbows, same result. There are only two remedies that I can think of. Either I can widen the base out a little bit more (which I'd rather not do) or I can "temper" the offending pieces.

I lean to the tempering for two reasons. One: I'm not sure that even if I widen the base, that the problem will be resolved. Two: If the pieces are hardened, I can leave my clearances snug. The biggest fear I have is about tempering the boom. Will heating and cooling it make it too brittle and easy to break? The boom is around 7' long, and there's no way I can temper the whole thing, it will only get treated where it meets the base.

Any constructive advice appreciated.

In pic one I'm trying to show one of the "screech" marks, they vary in location and depth after grinding everything back to flat.

Other pics are just to see if I can :)

Thanks in advance

(2010-12-23 17.16.28.jpg)

(2010-12-23 17.00.48.jpg)

(2010-12-23 17.01.04.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2010-12-23 17.16.28.jpg (32KB - 85 downloads)
Attachments 2010-12-23 17.00.48.jpg (50KB - 79 downloads)
Attachments 2010-12-23 17.01.04.jpg (52KB - 86 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)