AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chemistry. Mixing basic and acidic nutrient solutions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 9/28/2010 22:47 (#1377734)
Subject: Chemistry. Mixing basic and acidic nutrient solutions?

Hi all. I have 2 liquid nutrient solutions I wish to use together. One is an acidic solution, nutrient content is 0-50-0, and the MSDS sheet lists the ph as 0.8 at 68 degrees f. The other is a basic solution, content 0-0-40, and the MSDS lists the ph as 14.5 at 68 degrees f.

I've used a lot of the 0-50-0 in the past, but never the 0-0-40. I asked the seller about mixing issues. Said none known. I looked up the MSDS and told the seller the ph listed. He called an "expert"(?) and the expert said should be no issues. I'm not a chemist, but I have studied the Exactrix "TAPPS" formulation and know that basic and acidic solutions might not play nice. I asked the expeert if he had mixed them in person. He said no, then started backpedaling. I hate it when people do that.Frown

So I bought a container of the 0-0-40 and did a diluted jar test. I added the acidic 0-50-0 to the water first, then the 0-0-40 slowly. No fizzing or smoking, but the container did get hot.

So my question is, since it takes energy to create heat, and the heat from this solution will be exchanged into the atmosphere without benefit, am I loosing some of the nutrients in these solutions? In other words, is the heat generation consuming some of the nutrient contents?

I will have the ability to apply both solutions seperately in the future. For now, should I look at leaving one solution out and finding a different form to apply? Or is there a really not an issue here?

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)