AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Couple of corn pics taken today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

marbro1
Posted 8/1/2010 23:11 (#1297318)
Subject: Couple of corn pics taken today

Southwest Iowa
Went out to cut a few sunflowers that were growing right next to a terrace today in a corn field and on my way back, stopped and pulled a couple of ears to see how they looked. The number of rows and the number of kernals in the rows seem pretty decent, but the ears seemed like the lacked the "girth" that we're use to seeing. Maybe it has something to do with it only being the first of August, but I thought they'd be thicker.

In the picture with the 3 ears, the one to the left or bottom, depending on how the picture shows up when I post it, was 14 around by 40 long. The one next to it was 14 around with 46 long and the last ear was 16 around by 37 long. When counting the number of kernals in a row, I usually don't count the one next to where the ear was attached to the plant and I usually leave a few off of the other end too, not knowing whether they'll go ahead and mature or not. I figure this way is decent enough to get a pretty good estimate even if things go backwards just a little.

The picture with the ear broken in half is the 14x40 ear I believe.

The last picture is a little guy that I found right by silks at the top of the husks. Looks like he was enjoying himself with all that food. I didn't go back and check any other ears to see if there were more of them out there or if he was just some random one all by himself.

I got a new phone a few weeks ago and wanted to see if I could operate the camera and send the pics to my email and get them posted up on here, so I hope it works. The corn was probably planted around the 22-24th of April and I'm located in SW Iowa.

Marbro1

(corn Aug 1, 2010.jpg)

(corn2 Aug 1, 2010.jpg)

(worm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments corn Aug 1, 2010.jpg (32KB - 71 downloads)
Attachments corn2 Aug 1, 2010.jpg (24KB - 67 downloads)
Attachments worm.jpg (28KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)