AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thought I would show a drawing of water toughs we build to use on farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/23/2009 22:17 (#982626)
Subject: Thought I would show a drawing of water toughs we build to use on farm

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
We have built some water troughs here on the farm. We put a pit less adapter thru the pipe wall, and use a float valve w/ a brass ball,brass chain, brass s-hooks. I leave a pull pipe on the pit less, filled with oil to help keep it from rusting out. That way you never have to send someone down the pipe to do any plumbing, it can all be done outside the trough.
I try to adjust water level at ground level, leave enough pipe above ground to keep cattle, and debris out of it. I've thought about putting a bigger pipe or plastic barrel over the outside( at ground level) filling it with expanding foam, weld a metal top cover for it to insulate it. But I've never done that. These work good if you keep 20-30 or more cattle on them. But by the time you buy the pipe, fittings,welding, etc. you get just about half the price or more of commercial troughs. The nice thing is you usually have all the parts here on the farm to fix them. We have put them on fence lines as well as out in the middle or corrals, I've even put half lids on them, and make it so the ball floats up under the lid. The nice thing is you can design it to work any way you want.

(scan0001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments scan0001.jpg (28KB - 204 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)