AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View from a teacher
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jkp-tx
Posted 12/16/2012 08:24 (#2754834)
Subject: View from a teacher

Central tx
The last couple of days I have read the different points of view on gun laws, mental illness, pychotic drugs and the entire debate about mass shootings in this country. I have my own views on those issues, as does everyone on this site. We do not all agree and we never will.
With that being said, I share everyone's outrage over the events in Conn. Yes, I held my kids (ages 4 and 8 months) a little tighter the last couple of nights, and we prayed as a family for the victims and their loved ones. I will go to church today and pray with my community. I tried to answer the tough questions of my 4 year old to the best of my ability, taking in to consideration his age but also the stark realities of life.
My mind strays away from questions about gun laws, and keeps picturing kids. I teach/drive a bus for a local small school. I get to see and interact with students from pre-k to 12th grade. They all look to teachers to help them with their problems. I've helped young students put on backpacks, tie their shoes, and open their milk cartons. The innocent eyes have asked me to help them finish a coloring sheet, clean up a syrup spill before their teacher finds out, and recently, to help hang a Christmas ornament at school a little higher because it was "the perfect spot." So that's what I see when I hear the stories on TV. I see them.
And I imagine they were asking their teachers to help them with this problem, horrific as it was. And the teachers did what they always have done, they helped. They began the morning worrying about teaching kids their ABC's or math facts and a few hours later were helping children by shielding them from bullets. A few hours earlier they were probably discussing weekend plans with co-workers over a cup of coffee. Not knowing what their 6 and 7 year olds would ask them to help with today. For this, they are heroes and will always be remembered as such. I am proud to be a teacher.

God Bless the families affected by this tragedy,
Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)