AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

30" beans in So. IL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

klocken
Posted 12/18/2009 07:59 (#972778)
Subject: 30" beans in So. IL

Dix (Boyd), IL
We farm on marginal soils in Southern Illinois. We have a 30' JD 1990 air seeder on 7.5" rows. This spring was wet for us too. We were not real impressed with the stand in beans (great for wheat). We had traded a 15" 1780 and an old 750 drill for this air seeder last winter. So we also have a 16r30 JD 1770 w/ 3bu. boxes. We're toying with planting our beans with this planter. Fill time would be slower and more frequent, but plant 10 more feet per pass. Also we could back off from 180 pop to 130. It's just been a long time since we planted in 30" rows.

We do have weed issues to consider and are usually no-till on our beans. However, we have some unevenness and ruts to fix. So we'll be working everything once or twice with a field cultivator. If we do this, should I spray a pre-emerge w/ residual as well as planning on a post spray? I was hoping to work the ground, then spray once about 3 weeks after planting. At least w/ 30's I wouldn't run down beans with the sprayer.

Combining the 30's shouldn't be an issue now w/ autosteer on the combine. It's too easy to just lay in a nice angle when cutting.

What are your thoughts about my ideas? Blast away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)