AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HP laptop reload problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

L8Bloomer
Posted 4/14/2009 12:44 (#680053)
Subject: HP laptop reload problems

SW Ohio
I get a lot of good advise in the other forums so I thought I'd try this one.

My HP laptop works but gets corrupted (seems to have conflicts, gets slow, then won't boot) and needs to be rebuilt from the partition on the hard drive. It works a while, then repeats. The partition has so much junk with the XP Media Center software that I wanted to load a new clean edition. I put in a new WD Scorpio Black 320. (May as well bump up the storage a little.) I bought a new Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and tried to load it. It won't see the hard drives. Neither the new WD in #1 spot or the old in #2 spot. I can't find any settings to help me in Bios setup, but the diagnostics there will check the drives for integrity so it sees them. If I put the drives in opposite positions. The old installation will start and run. The WD was previously formatted NTFS. I think HP somehow tied up the bios to proprietary drives? If so can it be "untied" Also, can I use the registration code from the old installation so I can put the new one on another computer. ( install the same new software twice to get rid of the junk but use two different legal codes?) I bought two sets of software one on the HP and one off e-Bay new and sealed, and I save two legal codes.

Thanks for your help,
Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)