AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Things consumers may not know
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 2/12/2016 12:35 (#5106662)
Subject: Things consumers may not know

East central Iowa

I see Vermont has a law that will go into effect making GMO labels mandatory in the state. 

Watching the show "The Doctors" one doctor said her daughter while eating ribs asked, "how do they get the meat on these bones?"

Just as many think baby carrots are a specialty crop. 

I wonder if the disconnect is so great that if those groups opposing so much of modern agriculture were to tell consumers that their vegetables were coming out of the dirt that it would impact sales.  Or if consumers knew that the fruit they eat sits outside until it's picked, often by somebody who really doesn't have access to modern plumbing.

Perhaps rather than commodity groups should focus on public education.  And by public education I mean it should be part of required curriculum in schools to let the next generation know how dependent they are on agriculture being stable and producing food.  Not only that but they should be taught that current methods are what stand between them and world hunger as well as knowing with current technology any food shortage will only be caused by politics not by farmers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)