AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do with a combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WTF2014
Posted 1/9/2021 00:46 (#8735545 - in reply to #8734790)
Subject: RE: What to do with a combine

CIL
Hoosierheartland - 1/8/2021 19:27

Classic scenario for a poor farmer. I take good care of my stuff. Have a r52 higher hour combine but has been well maintained but it’s time to either update, upsize or throw major dollars at it and it’s not really what we would like. Bought a sight unseen (dumb) newer r72 lower hour combine for a great price at an auction. Not nearly as nice as pictures reflected but could be worse mechanically in surprisingly good shape but cosmetically neglected. I probably have 15 grand to play with to get it up to par to be at market value. Will do all the work myself. I’m in a position I could keep both through harvest if I wanted. 1) Should I just flip it and keep an eye out for something nicer and put the little I make towards that
2) invest the money in a machine I don’t know anything about (pro to doing this would be would theoretically be better a better machine than anything I could buy on the used market with all the new parts) is it worth painting a combine?
3) leave the cosmetics as is and run it and see if we like it. (Again, I’m kind of picky)

I totally understand the picky part, but IMHO you are already going down the road. You bought the combine (you paid money for it), maybe it's not perfect (you freely admit it was bought sight unseen) but....and this is a big one....if you can still do the majority of the wrenching on it yourself and you are confident of that...then more power to you.

So take comfort from a guy who's run deere and his father before him who also knew how to turn a wrench.....we've never sunk 15k into a combine for repairs and our latest is a 2012 model. I bet you can can come out on top of this too.

edit: I guess the main question is, if you resell it, do you think you can get your money back?

2nd edit: besides if its a gleaner then you should be able to fix it all at NAPA....which is only the second largest parts ripoff place following John Deere.

Edited by WTF2014 1/9/2021 01:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)