AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Striptill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 12/29/2020 19:34 (#8706847 - in reply to #8706437)
Subject: RE: Striptill

East Central, Nebraska
id say it is now increasing in my area. most have no clue what they are doing but its fun to watch. it would seem to me and tell me if i am wrong that western nebraska and maybe northern kansas is getting away from as i cant believe then number of machines for sale that are selling for pennies on the dollar from what they sold for new.

for whatever reason most around here are running cih 5310s and orthman 1 trippers which in my opinion are the lowest of the low as far as quality strip till units go. it isn't huge around here and maybe will never be but its catching on. to be perfectly honest i saw huge returns in year one and two of strip tilling and now it doesnt seem to be any better than no till. i believe that is because i had terribly nutrient deficient ground and now that i have those nutrients in the profile i am not seeing the shockingly better yields that i saw in the beginning.

i wanted a bigger machine to do all my acres every year but have now changed my goal to try and do 25% or so of my acres every 2-3 years. i am also in the future going to look for some kind of spring solution with as of now is unheard of around me. something with just a coulter to open the cold ground up a little to get to planting a couple days earlier.

i used to think that strip tilling killed several birds with one stone but for all that to line up it takes ideal conditions. for instance i had a lot of acres that were compacted pretty badly in the fall that my knife strip till rig made a lot of clods so i just quit. in the spring if it gets too late i will worry about it being too soft with that machine. i like to run higher rates of NH3 in the fall than i would in the spring. i like where my knife machine puts the dry but am not exited about using any fertilizer with a coulter machine. moral of the story if i had about 3-4 totally different strip till setups life would be great but that is obviously not economically feasible. not sure if your looking to get in or just wondering what others see, good luck either way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)