AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

amazon shopping question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

raider2b
Posted 2/23/2019 08:41 (#7338569 - in reply to #7338305)
Subject: RE: amazon shopping question

North Dakota
As of the 4th quarter of 2018 all online retailers are required to collect state and local sales tax. In North Dakota it is for any business that has a brick and mortar presence in the state or that sells over $250,000 or has more than 1000 transactions in state. Amazon has collected state sales tax for many years as they have a warehouse in Grand Forks.

Now while Amazon itself as a corporation did not pay income tax, I'm going to guess that Jeff Bezos did as well as any shareholder that sold their stock last year. I am not sure about property tax but they do pay Grand Forks property tax on their offices and warehouse.

When I was a kid in the 60's and living in a rural village we purchased a fair amount from Sears. The difference then was if you ordered today it might take two weeks to a month before you received your merchandise. Now people are upset when it isn't there the next day. We have ordered a few things and had them delivered to our daughter in Minneapolis the very same day. Sometimes faster than she could drive to the store and buy it. I view Amazon as a China-mart as most of the items are of lesser quality unless you buy brand name items.

We buy what we can in our local stores, lumber, most hardware and food but a lot of things you can't find locally and it is cheaper to buy online than to drive 140 miles to Fargo or Bismarck.

In this same conversation I read on here all the time about how much cheaper it is to buy parts and filters online because the local store that does pay local taxes is too expensive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)